5 Summer Tips To Keep Your Skin Flawless
Sun exposure remains the number one cause of premature aging. Each summer we age a little more whether we like it or not. The sun’s rays can be warm and sensuous… or intense and painful. Much of how the sun affects your skin depends on us! Here are several tips for sun sense:
- Wear a sunscreen with an SPF 30 or above every day-all year long. UVB rays are strong in summer and affect the surface of your skin; UVA rays are just as strong all year long and they go deeper to damage your DNA.
- Avoid extended time in direct sun between 10 AM and after 2 PM, when the sun is most intense and damaging. Wear protective clothing and reapply sunscreen every 90-120 minutes.
- Use sun glasses with broad spectrum UVA & UVB protection; and wear a wide brimmed hat to protect delicate ears and lobes.
- Increase your diet of fresh colorful fruits and green leafy vegetables–and drink 8-10 glasses of water per day to replenish and nourish your body.
- Spend at least 20 minutes a day walking outside to get your daily dose of Vitamin D3 while improving your digestion, circulation and over-all health.
Here’s a little skin TLC to help you look as ageless as you feel!
- Sun stressed skin can feel rough to the touch, scaly or uneven. A retinol and / or exfolient used daily helps to stimulate fresh new cells while a nightly regimen of glycolic/multi-fruit acids or a lactic acid serum can loosen and lift dead skin and surface pigment . Avoid products that irritate.
- Refresh. Hydration helps to soften and restore sun drenched skin. Hyaluronic based moisturizers loaded with anti-oxidants saturate your skin with moisture to help loosen surface pigment and increase desquamation(cellular turnover) while delivering nutrients to help regenerate and rejuvenate skin.
- Look for moisturizers with anti-aging green tea, grape seed, olive extract, phospholipids and Vitamin A that protect cells and aid in reversing the effects of sun-damage.
- Protecting collagen helps increase skin’s integrity and strength. Used daily topical Vitamin C helps protect collagen that gives skin its structure.
- Skin Brighteners help to fade dark spots. Non-irritating skin lighteners with kojak acid, arbutin, vitamin C and lactic acid work best once damaged surface skin has been removed. Skin brighteners must be used AM & PM for several weeks along with sunscreen to achieve results.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your skin, please contact Millie Bell at mbell@dermHA.com.
Skin is your biggest fashion accessory during the hot, humid summer weather. Skimpy tees, sun dresses, shorts, mini’s, swimsuits and sandals expose more skin than at any time during the year. Feet and toes are set free too …but that’s a whole other blog. To keep your skin looking great all summer long, you’ve got to provide a little TLC.
#1 T: Take the ‘touch’ test by lightly running your hands over your shoulders and upper back,
the backs of your arms, the backs of your thighs, legs and over your feet. Remember these normally out-of-sight areas can be visible to others. Check for bumps, rough or scaly skin.
(If a mole, unusual growth or raised lesion is tender or painful to the touch, check in a mirror to see if it’s discolored or flaky… and if it looks suspicious see your dermatologist.)
#2 L: Layer a film of dermHA’s lactic acid exfoliating body gel on rough, scaly areas. The leave-in gel penetrates and helps to gently lift dead cells while smoothing skin on elbows, knees and feet. It also helps to unroofs and lighten blemishes on the shoulders, chest and back revealing a softer, smoother, clearer looking skin.
#3 C: Cleanse your skin morning and especially at night to remove dirt and grime as well as dead cells, sweat and oils that are naturally excreted every day.
Calm, cover and clothe sun stressed skin with a light film of dermHA’s Therapeutic crème. Therapeutic Crème is loaded with moisture soaked hyaluronic acid to keep skin soft and smooth; arnica, aloe and calendula to calm and lutein to help protect the skin from sundamage.
**Remember to use sunscreen on any area of the body that is exposed to direct sun. Reapply as necessary, especially on the face, earlobes, shoulders, arms back and chest.
Start now to keep skin touch-ably soft and healthy all summer long. If you have questions for special skin issues, call 610-269-7009 for a complimentary consultation.
Teens are living breathing ‘transformers’… hair sprouts in strange places, voices change, and they begin to see the world through new eyes. It’s an exciting time full of ups and downs, with one of the biggest downs being acne. Pimples, blackheads, pustules and cysts can cause insecurity, low self-esteem and scarring. It’s the emotional scars from acne that can last a lifetime.
Summer can be extra challenging for teens with the increase in sweat and oils… and the tendency for girls (especially) to cover up blemishes instead of clear them up.
Teaching skin care at an early age to both girls and boys can save lots of stress for them and save lots of money for you. Selecting the right product for your teen is crucial. Products that are too harsh can overly irritate skin and do just as much damage as the acne. Products that are too drying or heavy can dehydrate skin and block pores causing even more breakout. If you are clueless, seek professional help.
Estheticians are licensed skin care specialists who are trained to treat many types of skin and skin conditions. Most estheticians offer complimentary consultations …and if needed they will refer you to a dermatologist.
Teen Tip: 2 X Cleansing
Cleansing and hydrating your skin in the morning and especially at night is crucial for getting rid of bacteria, sweat and oils.
*Don’t use buff puffs, scrubs or loofa’s on acne skin. Loofas and buff puffs can harbor bacteria plus the friction from rubbing is known to stimulate more acne break-out.
<Follow with a water based moisturizer to hydrate and balance oil production>
For more information or for a complimentary consultation call 610-269-7009 or go to www.dermHA.com