5 Summer Tips To Keep Your Skin Flawless
Sun exposure remains the number one cause of premature aging. Each summer we age a little more whether we like it or not. The sun’s rays can be warm and sensuous… or intense and painful. Much of how the sun affects your skin depends on us! Here are several tips for sun sense:
- Wear a sunscreen with an SPF 30 or above every day-all year long. UVB rays are strong in summer and affect the surface of your skin; UVA rays are just as strong all year long and they go deeper to damage your DNA.
- Avoid extended time in direct sun between 10 AM and after 2 PM, when the sun is most intense and damaging. Wear protective clothing and reapply sunscreen every 90-120 minutes.
- Use sun glasses with broad spectrum UVA & UVB protection; and wear a wide brimmed hat to protect delicate ears and lobes.
- Increase your diet of fresh colorful fruits and green leafy vegetables–and drink 8-10 glasses of water per day to replenish and nourish your body.
- Spend at least 20 minutes a day walking outside to get your daily dose of Vitamin D3 while improving your digestion, circulation and over-all health.
Here’s a little skin TLC to help you look as ageless as you feel!
- Sun stressed skin can feel rough to the touch, scaly or uneven. A retinol and / or exfolient used daily helps to stimulate fresh new cells while a nightly regimen of glycolic/multi-fruit acids or a lactic acid serum can loosen and lift dead skin and surface pigment . Avoid products that irritate.
- Refresh. Hydration helps to soften and restore sun drenched skin. Hyaluronic based moisturizers loaded with anti-oxidants saturate your skin with moisture to help loosen surface pigment and increase desquamation(cellular turnover) while delivering nutrients to help regenerate and rejuvenate skin.
- Look for moisturizers with anti-aging green tea, grape seed, olive extract, phospholipids and Vitamin A that protect cells and aid in reversing the effects of sun-damage.
- Protecting collagen helps increase skin’s integrity and strength. Used daily topical Vitamin C helps protect collagen that gives skin its structure.
- Skin Brighteners help to fade dark spots. Non-irritating skin lighteners with kojak acid, arbutin, vitamin C and lactic acid work best once damaged surface skin has been removed. Skin brighteners must be used AM & PM for several weeks along with sunscreen to achieve results.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your skin, please contact Millie Bell at mbell@dermHA.com.
February is “Heart Month.” You’ll hear a lot of information on how crucial it is to stay heart healthy. Look for heart healthy programs in health organizations or hospitals your area. If you are in the Philadelphia area, check out Lankenau Hospital’s Heart Institute – Women’s Heart Initiative.
Heart disease is a serious issue especially for those over 40. Make February the month to take charge of your health by having a check-up, eating a diet with less meat and lots of fruit and veggies, drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day, and walking/exercising/meditating daily. A side benefit to doing these things for your heart is that your skin will be glowing as well.
The heart is also where we “feel” love. Valentine’s Day reminds us how important it is to “love and be loved.” Valentine’s Day gives us permission to openly express our LOVE. Love is the ultimate emotion and it truly does conquer all. Love eliminates all negative emotions from your spirit when you choose to genuinely feel and express it.
Romantic love is magical and amazing but expressing your love for family, friends and even pets can enrich your world. Most importantly take time alone to contemplate your blessings, treat yourself well and shed a bit of love on yourself . Treat yourself to a new outfit, haircut, massage or skin care routine. You’ll look great as well as feel great.
Giving to others can lift your spirits too. Consider giving a small gift of love to someone who may not have a special person in their life.
No matter your circumstances you can make 2017 into an amazing year by:
- Remembering the dreams that excite you
- Restoring your energy by taking care of your health
- Resolving to live your very best life this year by filling it with people and experiences that really make you happy and feed your spirit!
Make your life a life you love! Start now!